Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What a night..!

Well, to start-we had our 36 week appointment yesterday.  Everything seemed pretty good, and our midwife Abigail was super excited that I was only 5 days away from the 'green zone' to deliver at the birth center.  Although, she measured my belly, as they do every appointment, and I was strangely measuring small.  I have been measuring right-on since the beginning.  So my last measurement at 34 weeks was measuring right at 34 weeks; however, yesterday I was measuring 33 when I should be at 36....hmmm...Abigail was a little concerned and scheduled us for an ultrasound asap.  Asap meant Friday for NM Sonographics-ugh, I hate the waiting game.   But, I really feel that everything is fine-especially since I have been measuring well up until this point.  Abigail said that once the baby drops that it is hard to get an accurate measurement.  I think that this is most likely the case-Harper is dropping down south, getting ready for labor.  Especially with the lightning crotch episodes I've been having that I told you about last time :-)  But, we have an ultrasound Friday just to confirm that baby doesn't have any growth restrictions or that I'm not leaking fluid or something...

So, after all that 'excitement'-last night I had my first experience with some serious Braxton-Hicks contractions.  I've been having painless Braxton-Hicks for months now-just tightening of my uterus.  But, last night was the first time they have been painful and somewhat consistent.  I honestly wasn't sure if I was in the early stages of labor, or if these were just practice.  I am scrambling to finish all my school work this week; so last night around 8:30 I'm doing my take home exam for Civil Litigation and these contractions start...nothing consistent until around 9:45 when they start coming every 10 minutes-uh oh!  At our appointment that day, Abigail had JUST told us that the best thing to do in this situation when you're unsure is to get into a warm bath.  Josh fixed the bath for me and I got in-the contractions then relaxed and went back to being painless uterus tightening.  Wow-just goes to show the relaxing powers of water!  However, when I got out of the bath and ready for bed, they started up again slowly.  Josh was sound asleep next to me around 12:45 when these pains were coming on about every 2 minutes!!  Felt like pretty bad menstrual cramps in my back that would wrap around to my uterus.  I just kept thinking-- "Seriously!?  We are FIVE days away from being able to deliver at Dar a Luz!!"  Needless to say, Harper did not decide to come last night!  Phew!  The discomfort (on top of my concern-is this really happening tonight?!) definitely interfered with my sleep-I wasn't able to get to bed until around 2am when the contractions went away-but they finally dwindled off and I got some shut eye.  What a night!! 

5 comments:

  1. So glad you got at least a little shut eye. I am praying for you every day before Harper arrives! Tick Tock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Harper, Please let your mommy finish these things to give her peace of mind. After she is finished please feel free to shake things up! Your mommy and daddy are so excited to meet you and cuddle with you! You also have wonderful Grandmas and Grandpas and lots of Aunties, Uncles and cousins who are ready to give hugs and kisses! Also please wait to make your beautiful arrival until Sunday, in the bath tub at Dar a Luz! Love Love Love you, Auntie Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa there little Harper-doodle! Hold up sugar pop! Ya gotta wait until after Sunday AND ya gotta give me enough time to get to Albuquerque!!! :o)
    Love you to pieces already!
    Gramma B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man you have had quite a week. Praying also for comfort and peace in these final stages to Harper's arrival. Can't wait to meet her! I am here if you need anything at all! Lots of love coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Gosh!! I read you're whole blog in one breath! I'm sorry to hear about your painful night. I know Harper can hold on for a few more days!! John and I send our love! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete