Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Stripping of the Membranes

Definition: a procedure in which an examiner frees the membranes of the amniotic sac from the wall of the lower segment of the uterus in the small area around the cervix.  It is done to stimulate labor.

1:30pm - Appointment at Dar A Luz.  Looking closer and closer to labor, so Abigail stripped my membranes to perhaps give me a jump start.  If the body is truly ready for labor, stripping the membranes can do the trick.  However, if you still need a little more time, it will do nothing.  Procedure was a little painful, but nothing too bad.

2:30pm - Post-appointment Josh drove me to my grandma's to meet up with my mom.  We've all decided that at this point, I should no longer be driving.  Cramping and contractions began to be pretty intense.  Really not feeling well, and lots of bleeding.  Had to take off my jeans and put on some of my mom's 'comfy pants.'

3:30pm - Still feeling pretty funky.  My mom suggested maybe we both go back up to my house so I could just get into my own bed and get some rest.  I agreed.  Completely conked out on the car ride up to my house.  Made it home, put on a comfy dress and curled up in bed.  Fell asleep for about an hour or so.

5:30pm - Josh is home from work-yay :-)  Contractions continue, but have cooled off from being so intense.  We watched the season finale of How I Met Your Mother from last night, and then Josh made dinner.  Started having awful heartburn and could barely eat!!  Darn, I hate that.

7:30pm - More relaxing and waiting.  We'll see if this 'stripping the membranes' business actually gets this baby moving!  It can usually take up to 24 hours or so for things to start progressing.  We shall see!


  

4 comments:

  1. Love you, sweetie. Thanks for keeping us all posted. Positive vibes and prayers for you, Josh, and precious Harper! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling alright and not in too much pain! Yikes! I'm crossing my fingers for little Harper to get a move on! I love you so much Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anxiously awaiting any news!! Get lots of rest!! I am here if you need anything at all! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby Herbie is so close to joining us in this fabulous world! Stay strong Momma Jane! Love love love you.

    ReplyDelete