Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thankful: Day #18

Thankful today for my beautiful daughter.  My Dawdle, Harper Doodle, Sweet Potato, Harper Bear, Doodle Bug.  She is six months old today.  Half of a year.  She is the brightest of lights and we love her beyond words and measure.  I have been reflecting a lot on the past six months.







It has been an incredible journey to say the least!  Really.  For about three days after she was born, I was literally on a post-birth high.  I could not stop looking at her perfect face.  WE made her!  After those three days commenced the toughest two months of my life.  Josh and I were both living on these crazy schedules, completely out of sync with each other for several weeks.  Enjoying a usual ritual of eating dinner together, watching TV together, or even just having a normal conversation were just not in sight for quite some time.  Looking back now, I can laugh at those hard hard moments.  Though, while we were in them I felt like our life would never be normal again.  Like we would never be normal again.  Like I would never be normal again.  But, as they always do, things change!  Babies change faster than you could ever imagine!  One week they are doing one routine, the next week it's on to something new.  Thankfully, we came out of the dark, seemingly long and treacherous, tunnel.  Our daughter's light grew stronger and stronger and brighter and brighter and we all emerged from the dark tunnel together!  Life is really good.  I find so much joy in being a mother now.  It is the greatest thing ever and FUN.  Harper and I have a lot of fun together everyday now.  She is so interactive, babbly, and silly.  Also, I am able to do things for me now.  That really didn't happen for quite a while, but now it is possible once again.  And Josh and I are able to actually eat dinner together, go to bed at the same time, and have a conversation (even ones that aren't baby-related!).  I am so grateful we have found our new normal in family life, and it feels awesome!


Things about this beautiful age I hope never to forget:

-I love Harper's babbles.
-I love the way she smells always, like milk and lavender.
-I love her 'zucchini smile.'
-Her chubby knees-to die for!
-The dimple in her chin.  One thing about her that is definitely, distinctly ME!
-The way she looks when she's asleep.  I could watch forever.
-Her very expressive eyebrows-often very contemplative and also cute.
-I adore her big cheeks and can never stop kissing them!
-The way she hums herself to sleep.


Awww...Happy Half-Birthday, Harper Jane.  I cherish every moment.  Words typed on the computer, written down on paper, or even thoughts in my head can not fully express the love I have for you.  Knowing this kind of love is a precious gift and I am so thankful.  <3

4 comments:

  1. I am very thankful for Harper as well!! I can't wait to see you all tonight!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY 1/2 BIRTHDAY HARPER JANE!!!! Jane you are a wonderful mother to Harper and you MADE another beautiful life! AND for that I am beyond THANKFUL. Thank you for adding so much joy to our lives and letting us be a part of Harper's life. Love you beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know exactly how I feel about YOU!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing this one grow! She is starting to have such a beautiful little personality. It's so amazing to see you grow to on your journey in motherhood too. Very thankful to have a wonderful friend like you and hope you and Josh and Harper have a very happy Thanksgiving up north!

    ReplyDelete