Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Thankful: Day #5

I am barely squeezing this post in today!  Sitting down to write kind of late this evening because I went to 6:30 yoga again.  And that is exactly what I am thankful for today-Bikram Yoga.

As most of you know, I am a Bikram Yoga teacher.  I spent 9 weeks of my life two years ago studying with the crazy master himself, doing two classes a day in 190,000* heat, living out of a tiny hotel room WITH a roommate, getting broken down, getting built back up, and getting hardly any sleep.  Seriously though-probably the best 9 weeks of my life.  After all of that-it's pretty clear that I love this yoga!  I really believe it is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.  As controversial as it may be, this yoga is special.  Committing to practice is hard as it is.  Even harder with a 5 and a half month old baby.  But, when I do commit to practice, it makes a HUGE difference in my life.  I've done other yoga before and was never the biggest fan.  Something about Bikram yoga in particular is so mind-clearing, humbling, and empowering.  It's just me, my mat, my towel, my water, and the mirror.  During class I literally feel like I could die sometimes, but afterwards it's like I DID die and have been cleansed and reborn with a clear mind and open heart.


At teacher training Bikram says a lot of weird shit.  A lot.  Some of it is meant to be funny.  Some of it is not meant to be funny, but still is.  And some of it is actually very serious and profound.  One thing he continually says over the 9 weeks of training is that "the darkest place in the world is underneath the lamp."  It took me a while to interpret this.  I love this quote.  I read an article where he actually explained it, and I love it even more.  He says:

"You've got to face yourself in the mirror, every part you don't like, every mistake you make, every excuse your mind creates to limit your potential liberation--there's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.  No escape from reality.  With these kinds of demands on your ability and attention, you will soon forget that there is anyone on the next mat in the classroom, much less notice what they are wearing.  After you learn to discipline your body and mind under these conditions, you will truly be able to concentrate; no external will be able to break your powerful focus.  That's what I say the darkest place in the world is under the brightest lamp.  In my class, you will find a beautiful light, and the source of that light is within you."

I found that light when I was at training.  I am so grateful for the chance to get my practice back (slow but sure) and uncover and rediscover this light once again.



4 comments:

  1. :) I love all your yoga pics! My parents would agree, that Bikram yoga has changed their life also. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are getting it back! So important to remember those "me" things when so much of yourself is devoted to your sweet girl. Proud of you. Much LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warms my heart to know you are committed to getting your practice back. It is so true, there is something unique about this particular type of yoga. As you say: cleanses your mind, calms you, humbles you, and ...empowers you at the same time. ...And your's IS a beautiful light! Namaste!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved that photo of you on the beach. So perfect. XOXO

    ReplyDelete